Working in Hawaii, one of those destinations that the first thing they evoke in our mind is an image of paradise, tropical landscapes, surfers and volcanoes.
It was the last state to join the US, forming an archipelago formed by hundreds of islands in the Pacific Ocean, north of Polynesia and northeast of Australia.
Culturally, Hawaii is a fusion of cultures. Given its geographical location, it has been influenced as much by American culture as by Asian culture, both joining the native population.
As a result, the local Hawaiian culture is as interesting as it is peculiar, different from others. In this field, the reason why it is perhaps most famous is for the dances of kahiko, auana, hula…
In Hawaii, the different dances tell the story of a country, a culture, the future of some local characters, legends, and stories.
Among the highlights are striking aspects such as the famous Waikiki Beach in Honolulu, Temple Beach in Laie, the Rainbow waterfalls (rainbow) in Hilo, the Haleakala crater in Pukalani, the Kaloko Honokohau historical park, the canyon of Waimea, Kehena Beach with its surfers in Kalapana, Kailauea volcano, Papakolea Beach in Puu O Mahana, Pololu Valley, Akaka Falls in Honomu,…
One thing is clear, if we are thinking of looking for a job in Hawaii, we know that we will live in an earthly paradise. Its climate is almost perfect since year-round temperatures range between averages of 29.4ºC in summer and 25.6ºC in winter.
Some Technical Data
- Capital: Honolulu
- Office language : English and Hawaiian
- Population : 1,362,000 inhabitants
- Currency : US dollar
- Time zone: UTC -10
- Main activities: tourism sector in general
- Main cities: Honolulu, Hilo, Kaneohe, Kailua, Pearl City, Kahului, Kailua Kona, Kihei and Lihue
- Member of: one of the US states
Job Opportunities in Hawaii
Those who are thinking of working in Hawaii have a question on the table, what are the pillars of their economy? The answer is simple, on the one hand, agriculture, livestock and its derivatives (processed foods, exports, …), on the other the great pillar, the tourism sector.
Il main markets for job search are found in banking, education, health, customer service, the tourism sector, … as well as some options for teleworking. It is important to note that in Hawaii companies are very adapted to the web world, which will facilitate the search process.
In general, having previous work experience or high qualification will open many doors for us. In addition, the level of English should be high, as it is the official language of the country.
You should also consider the option of volunteering in Hawaii, a way to make the first contact, meet people, and establish relationships to access a job.
Documentation Needed To Work In Hawaii
As a member state of the USA, the processes are practically identical, except for small nuances due to their geographical situation. The process for the regularization of a foreign worker in Hawaii follows the steps described below in broad strokes:
Registration with the Department of Labor and Industrial Relations of Hawaii, this agency has a portal for job search: HireNet Hawaii.
To obtain a work visa, a company must offer us a job, technically it is the company that has to apply for our visa, specifically the H-1B. Obtaining a work permit involves paying a series of administrative fees.
Il company must justify to the government why it wants to hire a foreigner, what is its professional profile, …
Wages in Hawaii
Il average salary in Hawaii is about USD 43,740 annually, being one of the US states with a better salary index. In any case, if we are looking for a qualified job, the salary does not usually fall below USD 50,000, which varies according to the profession and responsibility of the position.
As examples, we can see that a non-specialized administrative assistant will charge around USD 40,000, while a project manager will obtain around USD 75,000
Here we leave you a link where we can see the relationship between the most demanded professions and the average salary for that particular field, it can be very useful.
Find a job in Hawaii
If we have decided and want to look for opportunities to work in Hawaii, we are faced with different possible ways to get the job of our dreams. Here we bring you some of the most outstanding and effective:
Contact companies on their own initiative, self-candidacy
Another of the great options that we always have, because the employment section of some companies, including multinationals, raise the different vacancies they have.
For this, as in all cases, we must enter the personal information requested in English.
The press has always been a way to find employment through its section of advertisements, whether in its virtual or traditional form, it is an option to take into account. Also, what better way to know a little better a country in which we want to live than through your local press?
Here we leave you the links to the main newspapers of Hawaii :
Self-employment in Hawaii is relatively widespread, even some companies hire workers as freelancers for their projects.
Nel local government portal, you can find all the necessary information to establish our business base in the archipelago, this link will take you directly to the corresponding section on the web.
Temporary Employment Agencies, Placement Agencies
The option to work in Hawaii through job placement or temporary agency is more than interesting, even if they can be decisive because certain companies do not have their own human resources department for hiring.
- State Farm: agency specialized in human resources
- Hawaii Job Engine: general employment portal
- CVS Caremark: recruitment agency with numerous offers of various kinds
Web portals with job offers in Hawaii
Below we offer you a list with numerous websites where you can find vacancies to work in Hawaii, some of them are specialized, others of a general nature, but in any case, we hope they will be of great help:
- Kamaaina Jobs : job search website in Hawaii
- Flexjobs: page with various teleworking options
- TechJobs Hawaii : for the job search in the technology sector
- TechHui: a portal for employment in new technologies
- Roberts Hawaii: to work in the tourism sector
- Graiglist Honolulu: classified ads to get a job in the capital
- Jobs Big Island: job advertisements for various kinds
- ODesk: the portal for work as a freelance
- Elance: portal with job offers in Hawaii as a freelance, telecommuting,…
- First Hawaiian Bank: if you want to work for the bank of Hawaii
- Central Pacific Bank: with offers for its sector, the banking sector
- Bank of Hawaii: another option if we want to work in a bank
- American Saving Bank: another alternative to find employment in the banking and finance sector
- Hawaii Preparatory Academy: for those who want to look for employment in the teaching field
- University of Hawaii: if you want to work at the University of Hawaii
- Kamehameha Schools: where can you work as a teacher
- Hawaii Association of Independent Schools: where we can find offers for teaching
- Life Care Centers of America: if you want to make a career in the health sector
- Liberty Dialysis: company in which to work as a sanitary
- Kona Community Hospital: serves the region and usually has vacancies
- Kaiser Permanente: a company where we can look for work in the health field
- Hawaii Pacific Health: section for the employment of doctors, surgeons, nurses, …
- Diagnostic Laboratory Service: if you want to work in this field
- Clinical Laboratories of Hawaii: for those who wish to work in laboratories
- Care Resource Hawaii: a portal for the employment of health professionals
- Target Centers: if you want to look for a job in customer service
- Sears Holding Corporation: if you are looking for a job in the service sector
- Safeway: to work in the service sector
- Rosstores: if you want to work in stores
- Petco: for those who wish to work with animals
- Macys Jobs: job search portal in the service sector
- Lowe’s: chain of stores with job offers
- KTA Superstores: has job offers for its stores
- Home Depot: offers vacancies in its specialized stores
- Foodland: if you want to work in food services
- Budget: one of the companies for airport car rental
- National Alamo: another agency for car rental at the airport, usually has vacancies
- AT&T: international company, also has vacancies in Hawaii
- Hawaiian Airlines: if you want to work for the Hawaiian airline, this is their website
- Altres: web specializing in the search for workers
- Service Master: leaders in human resources in various sectors
- UPS: if you want to work in the field of delivery and postal and package delivery
- Care: if you want to work in childcare
Data Of Interest Before Leaving
The first question we have is how to get there, for this we must bear in mind that our flight will have at least one stopover, usually in the US, and our destination airport will be Honolulu International Airport.
Here we leave you the link of a collaborator who has all the cheap flights to Hawaii, in it, you can find the best option to get to this paradise.